site hit counter

≡ Libro Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books

Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books



Download As PDF : Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books

Download PDF Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books


Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books

The reason I purchased this novel is not because of the title. When I came across Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan, I bought it because the story is set in Wisconsin. Not in Green Bay Packer Country, not in the riotous `hoods of Milwaukee, not even Kenosha or the eponymous Sheboygan, but smack dab in the heart of my hometown of Two Rivers, Wisconsin. If that wasn't reason enough, the book almost immediately compares Two Rivers - in a favorable manner - to its sister city. Whether I would ultimately hate it or love it, I had to read the story.

First, let me get one thing straight, the pronunciation of the town's name is T'Rivers, not Trivvers. I do kind of like the double-V as a visual metaphor for the two rivers that flow through town, but still. Second, IMHO, they should've gone to Port Sandy Bay for that pizza!

Yolanda Polanski speaks for herself in the novel, so I'll jump to the quirky supporting cast and some of the details of the story. There's the fifty-something woman who sews her own blouses, and a landlord/plumber who wears Dockers because the material is stain-resistant. A Menards' sales associate named Del wears blue jeans, has "very short, coarse chestnut hair", and cusses like a hit-single rapper. Activities include BLTs for lunch at Arby's, and Polkas. So far, so good, nothing is out of the ordinary for T'Rivers.

As the plot of this well-written and fine-tuned story unfolded, I started to laugh out loud at the author's broad strokes of humor. I don't pretend to have assimilated all the nuances flowing through the novel. I will admit that, in the beginning, I believed the author had not stepped foot inside the city limits of Two Rivers. Soon, however, it became obvious the author had insider knowledge of its inner workings. The five stars are for the unique plot and intriguing characters.

This is not a history book of a town's origins, but a psychological mining of a gentle and kind society. Yolanda Polanski's quest, Don Quixote-esque and delightfully apropos, culminates in a satisfying conclusion.

Ithaca? Po-leezzze!

Read Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books

Tags : Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan [Adam Sydney] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Yolanda Polanski has arrived in Two Rivers, Wisconsin with a mission: to save the little town from itself. The only problem is,Adam Sydney,Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan,Newcraft Press,0985163631,FICTION General,Fiction - General,General,Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)

Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books Reviews


I laughed out loud and often at the inner thoughts of Yolanda Polanski. She is part Myra Breckenridge, part Jean Brodie, but also unlike any other character I've come across. Really funny in a sweet way. Just as the cover implies. Never unkind. As the story unravels, and the motivations of this woman are revealed, I remained fascinated. They aren't revealed quickly, and not every question that I had is answered, but I found the story to be really gratifying.
This book is very strange and confusing to read and you don't really understand it, even at the end, when things are supposedly revealed.
I thought this would be a light, funny read, but it got way too long and involved for me. There were funny episodes, but mostly weird.
Yolanda is unique. The story was a great balance of depth and humor. Read it twice several months apart. Liked it even more the second time probably because the humor still made me laugh out loud, but I picked up on more of the subtleties.
Um, what the crap did I just read?

You know the show Scrubs? You know how a portion of the show doesn't actually happen because it's just the images of JD's whimsical and humorous imagination? This book is a lot like that, but less comedic and more whacked-out.

I enjoyed this book more when I was sleep-deprived and filled with the giggles. But even then, it was a lot to handle. I could see how this book might appeal to people who find its psychology fascinating, its distaste of small towns and the Midwest appealing, and its narrator less intolerable. However, it was too much for me. The entire book is essentially Yolanda's never-ceasing and unrealistic, on-the-fly, B.S. psychoanalysis. Each person she encounters she breaks down and analyzes, but not in a way that is sincere or even grounded in reality. No, she sees the person wearing a shirt with a ridiculous pattern and suddenly Yolanda has a whole story (of which she is wholly convinced) about that person's daddy issues relating to the family dog she poisoned with a chocolate cupcake. And that description doesn't do justice to the entirely bizarre world that is Yolanda Polanski's head.

There is very little dialogue in the book, and really it only serves as a reality to the check to the reader that everyone is very confused and Yolanda is in her own, whacked-out world. Yolanda's over-the-top "psychoanalysis" is matched by her innate narcissism, though this is sometimes masked by how seemingly "thoughtful" and "kind" she is. No, she's just full of herself, she is better than everyone else, but darn it all! She is so *kind* to help these unknowing savages of Two Rivers, Wisconsin rise above their own stupidity and brutishness to a higher calling a school for ice cream sundaes, fueled by the idle vision of a six-year-old Yolanda met on a bus and proceeded to stalk.

Certainly give the book a shot, but it just wasn't for me. All I can say is "... what..the...crap...?"
Yolanda was very different from most of the books that I read, but overall I enjoyed it. It was filled with characters; Yolanda herself is quite a piece of work and she deliberately seeks out an equally amusing cast of supporting characters (a mix of unsuspecting "normal people" and others nearly as odd as herself) to be her pawns but later begins to realize their true merit. As some of the other reviewers have pointed out, it was a lengthy book, somewhat far-fetched and very complex. About halfway through the book I decided to take a few days to read something else instead, but at the end of that I went back and enjoyed the remainder of the story. I don't like spoilers, so I won't do that here. I will say though, that it was exceedingly well-written and worth the time spent. I also admit that there were a few times that I laughed so hard that I cried; you can't put a price on humor like that. Well done, Adam Sydney!
The reason I purchased this novel is not because of the title. When I came across Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan, I bought it because the story is set in Wisconsin. Not in Green Bay Packer Country, not in the riotous `hoods of Milwaukee, not even Kenosha or the eponymous Sheboygan, but smack dab in the heart of my hometown of Two Rivers, Wisconsin. If that wasn't reason enough, the book almost immediately compares Two Rivers - in a favorable manner - to its sister city. Whether I would ultimately hate it or love it, I had to read the story.

First, let me get one thing straight, the pronunciation of the town's name is T'Rivers, not Trivvers. I do kind of like the double-V as a visual metaphor for the two rivers that flow through town, but still. Second, IMHO, they should've gone to Port Sandy Bay for that pizza!

Yolanda Polanski speaks for herself in the novel, so I'll jump to the quirky supporting cast and some of the details of the story. There's the fifty-something woman who sews her own blouses, and a landlord/plumber who wears Dockers because the material is stain-resistant. A Menards' sales associate named Del wears blue jeans, has "very short, coarse chestnut hair", and cusses like a hit-single rapper. Activities include BLTs for lunch at Arby's, and Polkas. So far, so good, nothing is out of the ordinary for T'Rivers.

As the plot of this well-written and fine-tuned story unfolded, I started to laugh out loud at the author's broad strokes of humor. I don't pretend to have assimilated all the nuances flowing through the novel. I will admit that, in the beginning, I believed the author had not stepped foot inside the city limits of Two Rivers. Soon, however, it became obvious the author had insider knowledge of its inner workings. The five stars are for the unique plot and intriguing characters.

This is not a history book of a town's origins, but a psychological mining of a gentle and kind society. Yolanda Polanski's quest, Don Quixote-esque and delightfully apropos, culminates in a satisfying conclusion.

Ithaca? Po-leezzze!
Ebook PDF Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books

0 Response to "≡ Libro Yolanda Polanski and the Bus to Sheboygan Adam Sydney 9780985163631 Books"

Post a Comment